Chicago has an appallingly bad public school system. Only 21% of eighth graders are proficient in reading. 40% of all students drop out. Small wonder that 39% of the public school teachers in Chicago with children send their kids to private schools. One would think that any sane administration of such a dysfunctional school system would have more than enough to do fixing it, without taking on new tasks. People who believe this obviously have never been to Chicago. As Matt Archbold at Creative Minority Report advises us, the Chicago Way is to dream up new boondoggles if you are failing at the task that the public is paying you to perform:
In real life if a man tries to talk about sex to a kindergartner he’d be removing a father’s knuckles from his teeth. But when school’s do it with your money, parents drop their kids off with smiles.
Please please vote in your local elections and make sure you’re aware of what your schools are teaching children in your town. Chicago is now actively destroying children’s innocence with taxpayer money:
ABC News reports:
While most U.S. public schools start sex education in the fifth grade, sex education will be coming to Chicago kindergartners within two years as part of an overhaul of the Chicago public schools sexual health program.
The new policy, which the Chicago Board of Education passed Wednesday, mandates that a set amount of time be spent on sex education in every grade, beginning in kindergarten. Chicago has the third-largest public school system in the country, with 431,000 students.
“It is important that we provide students of all ages with accurate and appropriate information so they can make healthy choices in regards to their social interactions, behaviors and relationships,” Barbara Byrd-Bennett, the CEO of the Chicago Public School System, said in a statement. “By implementing a new sexual health education policy, we will be helping them to build a foundation of knowledge that can guide them not just in the preadolescent and adolescent years, but throughout their lives.”
Under the new policy, the youngest students – the kindergartners — will learn the basics about anatomy, reproduction, healthy relationships and personal safety. Through the third grade, the sex-ed lessons will focus on the family, feelings and appropriate and inappropriate touching. In the fourth grade, students will start learning about puberty, and HIV.
From the perspective of the powers that be in the Chicago public school system this is a wonderful proposal:
1. More teachers will have to be hired to teach sex ed to the rugrats.
2. Kids can be indoctrinated in the ways of gays, an important pressure group for the Democrats who have run the Windy City since the days of Al Capone.
3. It takes time away from instruction in irrelevant subjects, like reading, writing and arithmetic, which the teachers do poorly anyway. Everyone will get an A in Sex Ed and bring up the stats.
4. This new program is a grand argument as to why new money should be allocated to the Chicago Public School system.
5. It brings us ever closer to the “utopia” depicted in Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World which I can only assume must be the goal of the powers that be in the Democrat Party since the policies they have supported since the seventies can only be understood as attempts to bring that world into reality.
Who are the losers? The kids, the parents and the taxpayers, but no one in authority in Chicago has given a damn about them for a very long time in any case.