Hattip to Ed Morrissey at Hot Air. Tuffy Gessling, the rodeo clown who engaged in lese majesty against King Obama speaks out:
Tuffy Gessling has endured five death threats, numerous angry confrontations, and a woman who spit in his face, based on a routine that is probably older than most of the people offended by it. So what’s changed? Gessling figures that people have lost their ability to laugh, at themselves and their favored institutions, and a large amount of their perspective, too:
“I actually think that a lot of people have lost their ability to laugh,” Gessling said. “Look at the country as a whole, there is a lot more to be mad at than a rodeo clown at a rodeo trying to make somebody laugh.”
Go here to read the rest. I can tell that Mr. Gessling is bemused by all the fuss since other presidents have been treated the same. Let me explain the difference to him:
1. Cult worship-Obama to many of his political supporters is not just a politician but an object of worship. People do not normally laugh at jokes about their religion and that is precisely how Obama is viewed by his more crazed acolytes.
2. Race Card-By Mr. Gessling wearing a mask that satirized the features of Obama, liberals had the opportunity to wield the race card. Expecting them not to demagogue the issue of race is rather like expecting a fly not to leave maggots in rotting meat.
3. No Sense of Humor-Most Leftists have zero sense of humor, particularly when the humor is aimed at one of their heroes.
4. Rodeo-The epitome of the red neck and therefore always a good target of Leftist fury.
5. Bullies-A rodeo clown, without influence or constituents, is a perfect target for a bully.
6. Delegitimize Criticism-Leftists have striven mightily to silence even the mildest criticism of Obama, and to tar what they cannot silence with the brush of racism. Mr. Gessling, you are merely one in a very long line of targets this has happened to.
7. Squirrel- Since Obama and his following have zero ideas as to how to address the great problems that beset the nation. They govern- SQUIRREL!-through distraction, and the rodeo clown was a superb distraction for several days.
8. Everything is Political– For most liberals life is always political trench warfare. Mr. Gessling thought he was doing light entertainment. To most liberals he was presenting an opportunity for their perpetual outrage machine to score some easy points.
9. MSNBC-It provided the network that has less viewers than some big blogs have readers fodder for several nights worth of spittle flecked outrage.
10. An Example-Team Obama made an example of you Mr. Gessling. If they would kneecap a rodeo clown wearing a mask, what won’t they do to anyone who speaks out.