Well, we now have a good idea what gets the Pope’s blood really flowing:
— Inserting himself into the Republican presidential race, Pope Francis on Wednesday suggested that Donald J. Trump “is not Christian” because of the harshness of his campaign promises to deport more immigrants and force Mexico to pay for a wall along the border.
“A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian,” Francis said when a reporter asked him about Mr. Trump on the papal airliner as he returned to Rome after his six-day visit to Mexico.
Go here to read the rest. A few thoughts:
- Pope Francis demeans his high office when he gets down in the mud to wrestle with Donald Trump.
- The comment reeks of politics and is unworthy of a priest of the Catholic Church let alone the Pope.
- At a time when Catholic politicians around the globe support abortion on demand, the Pope is reading people out of the Christian faith because they oppose illegal immigration?
- Does the Pope really believe this, or is this another Francis example of the mouth being engaged without the brain also being in operation?
- Assuming that the Pope does mean this, is he putting the Catholic Church on record as opposing any limits in regard to immigration, or does this just apply to the US?
- If Trump gets the nomination of the Republican party, heaven forbid, will the Pope be cutting election videos for his Democrat adversary?
- How does this comment accord with the Pope’s Year of Mercy? (Poorly is the correct answer.)
- Should the Pope be bound and gagged to prevent any more off the cuff interviews, at least when he is traveling in an airliner?
- Would you pay to attend a Francis-Trump debate?
- The Pope has performed his first miracle in having PopeWatch feel a twinge of sympathy for a complete ass-in-Republican-clothing like Donald Trump.