This incident of horrific violence will soon vanish from the news:
Omar Mateen, a 29-year-old U.S.-born citizen, has been identified as the suspect in Sunday’s mass shooting that left at least 50 dead and more than 50 others wounded at the Pulse Nightclub, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.
Mateen’s parents were born in Afghanistan, and he was “on the radar” of U.S. officials for some time, but was not the target of a specific investigation, law enforcement officials told ABC News.
A police officer working at the club responded to shots fired at 2:02 a.m., and then exchanged fire with Mateen, according to police. Mateen then took hostages, holding them for hours.
At approximately 5 a.m., the SWAT team made the decision to rescue the hostages, officials said. Mateen was killed in a gunfight with those officers early this morning.
FBI assistant agent in charge of the agency’s Tampa division, Ron Hopper, said this morning investigators were “looking at all angles right now” to find a motive.
Go here to read the rest. May the souls of the slain rest in peace. Mateen was a registered Democrat and from reports seems to have been a jihadist. Since this story does not serve the agendas of most of the media, it will soon be treated as a local crime story. If he had been a Republican and a Christian, this story would be receiving constant national coverage from here to election day.
Update 1: Hatip to Dave Griffey at his blog Daffey Thoughts. The bodies are barely cold, and Mark Shea is beating the drum for gun control.
1. It’s too soon to talk about this completely forseeable and preventable tragedy.
2. Any discussion of trying to prevent future statistically certain slaughters, or the other 33,000 preventable slaughters we *will* have by 12/31/16 is “politicizing tragedy”–because the dead are always insulted by not wanting to add to their numbers.
3. Instantly politicize the tragedy by calling for MOAR GUNS to fatten the profits of the gun industry.
4. Blame the victims for not being armed.
5. For extra credit, theorize that this slaughter was actually planned by Obama or shadowy liberal forces to make the Gun Cult look bad
6. Compare the death toll with abortion and assure everybody that hardly anybody was killed so it’s no big deal.
7. Declare, “If the killers had not used guns they would have used rocks or knives, because evil is found in the heart, not the gun.”
8. Toss in a foolish non sequitur about outlawing cars and swimming pools since people die in them too.
9. If the shooter was brown, this was a terrorist act telling you everything you need to know about the pathologies of brown people. We need to elect Trump to ban all Muslims from the country. If the shooter was white, he was a “lone nut” and it tell you nothing about the pathologies of Patriots fondling their guns. We need to elect Trump in order to keep the Liberals from taking all our guns.
Never let a tragedy go to waste, eh Mark?
ISIS has claimed responsibility:
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria has claimed responsibility for the shooting, CBS News reports. The terror group’s news organization, Aamaq Agency, said the attack was “carried out by an Islamic State fighter.