(The American Catholic will observe its tenth anniversary in October. We will be reposting some classic TAC posts of the past. This post is from August 6, 2012.)
Ah, Dadisms, the short hand that many fathers use as they attempt to navigate life with their families. Here are some of my favorite:
1. Clean up this dump!
2. You are not going outside like that!
3. When I was young and dinosaurs ruled the earth…
4. I’m proud of you!
5. Always get it in writing.
6. Can’t I trade you in for a new kid?
7. Because I said so, that’s why!
8. Did you ask Mom?
9. Take this twenty, it might come in handy.
10. Careful, there are lots of loosely wired people out there.
11. Every night say your prayers before you go to sleep.
12. Kindness and a sense of humor go a long way.
13. Get a haircut Shaggy!
14. Turn down that noise!
15. Remember our family motto: Get someone who knows what the devil they are doing!
16. Smartest thing I ever did was to marry your Mom.
17. Fight you demons fight! I can’t stand peace!
18. Let me know if you need help.
19. Speak up!
20. Christ in His mercy will see us through. (This one I usually say silently to myself during tough times.)