News spread fast with the announcement that the University of Notre Dame (ND) will have President Obama at its commencement speaker and receive an honorary degree. Our very own Donald R. McClarey was johnny-on-the-spot with the breaking news last night. Here is the official press release states as follows:
“Mr. Obama will be the ninth U.S. president to be awarded an honorary degree by the University and the sixth to be the Commencement speaker.”
Here’s a round up of the near-unanimous condemnation of this invitation to Pro-Abortion President Barack Obama:
1. Bishop John D’Arcy has been very critical of ND in the past. Bishop D’Arcy has also defended unborn children againstPresident Obama’s anti-life agenda in the past. His Excellency will have quite a bit to say come Monday.
2. The ND switchboard was overwhelmed late last night with all calls expressing their outrage at the invitation of a president with blood on his hands of innocent children. The voice mailbox for the President, Fr. John Jenkins, Vice-President, Provost, assistant-provost and PR director of ND were all full by 9pm EST.
3. Two ND alumni, Marc Brammer, Class of ’74 and MBA ’76 and Michael Voris ’83, both founders of www.RealCatholicTV.com, expressed their disbelief at what had occurred:
“It is beyond sinful that a University dedicated to the Mother of God, in whose womb the salvation of the world became incarnate, would give a platform to the biggest enemy of life in the womb this country has ever seen.”
“This is a direct slap in the face to all who venerate the Mother of God. To be honoring a man who continues to do everything in his power to destroy the fundamental essence of motherhood through abortion,” said Brammer, “shows just how far the University has lost its moral bearings.”
3. A quiet insurrection is already beginningat the campus of ND to undermine the message of President Obama’s agenda of death.
“It is an outrage and a scandal that ‘Our Lady’s University,’ one of the premier Catholic universities in the United States, would bestow such an honor on President Obama given his clear support for policies and laws that directly contradict fundamental Catholic teachings on life and marriage,”
In addition to the Cardinal Newman Society that is decryingthis disgraceful act are prominent pro-life organizations and leading Catholic analysts such as the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute (C-FAM), Deal Hudson, Thomas N. Peters of American Papist, Philip F. Lawler, Director of the Catholic Culture Project, and Fr. C. J. McCloskey III.
5. The American Catholic would like to add its name to the growing chorus that will do what they can to mitigate the scandal that ND has unleashed.