News that I missed, courtesy of The Babylon Bee:
CHICAGO, IL—All charges against Jussie Smollett for faking a hate crime against himself have been dropped after the Empire actor and well-respected employer of Nigerians used the “I have a lot of money” defense in court.
Smollett’s legal team argued that while his alleged crimes were bad, on the other hand, he has a lot of money. The legal strategy is known as the “Chicago Special” to locals. It’s a standard procedure used in Cook County.
“Yes, Mr. Smollett’s behavior does seem to warrant punishment,” his attorney said in a special hearing before a judge. “But you also have to consider the fact that he’s rich. Furthermore, he has money. And also, did I mention that he is absolutely loaded with cold, hard cash?”
“This concludes my arguments,” she said.
The attorney then pulled out a bag of money and tossed it in the general direction of Chicago’s finest judges and prosecutors, who made a mad dive for the cash while Smollett walked out a free man.
Go here to read the rest. Ah corruption and influence, ever the true Chicago Way. A few questions from an old defense attorney come to mind about this farce:
- How can the States Attorney, the Soros funded Kimberly Foxx, recuse herself from the case and then decide to disrecuse herself? In 37 years at the bar, I have never heard of that being done before.
- What, if any, ex parte, conversations occurred between the judge handling the case and Foxx?
- What about the reports that Jussie Smollett “allies”, including Tina Tchen, former chief of staff to former First Lady Michele Obama, asked Foxx to intervene in the case?
- What, if anything, did Foxx gain by this “favor” to Smollett?
- Why did the trial judge seal the records of the case? Normally this would not be granted without a separate hearing with notice sent to the State Police and the arresting authority, the Chicago Police Department.
- Will the Smollett Defense be granted to other accused felons willing to part with a sum of cash and do some minuscule “community service”?
- Normally in a plea agreement like this the Defendant would admit his guilt as part of the plea agreement. Why was Smollett allowed to immediately proclaim his innocence to the media?
- Why did Foxx earlier attempt to take the case from the Chicago PD and have the FBI take over the investigation?
- Does Foxx usually exchange e-mails with members of an accused felon’s family as she did in the Smollett case?
- Is R.Kelly’s legal team warming up the Smollett Defense?
Welcome to Chicago. This town stinks like a whorehouse at low tide.
Jim Malone (Sean Connery), The Untouchables screenplay